close

武陵校長在武陵學生參加反課綱遊行活動後,朝會上的一席談話,

引起社會的討論。

懷玉為了讓英國及法國朋友瞭解這件事,

特地把談話全文翻譯成英文,

並且簡述主要的不認同點。

 

—————————————————

 

我不全然認同校長的說法,以下是幾個原因。
I partially disagree with the comment from the head of WLSH. Below are my points.

「學校是教育場域
假如你要參與社會運動,請到校外」
’’School is a place for education.
If you want to take part in social movements, please do it outside the school.'’

 

學校不只是教育場所,也是學生踏入社會的過渡階段,將社會運動完全阻絕於校園之外,這等於是排除學生投身社會事務的機會。事實上,學生是社會的重要份子,也是國家未來希望所在。再者,憲法保障人民表達不同意見的自由,無論他在哪個場所。我認為,校方無權要求學生在校園內,不能從事社會運動相關事務。
School is not only a place for education, but also a transitional stage in which students prepare themselves to enter the society. Blocking social movements completely out of schools is actually denying students the chances to engage in social affairs, while students are, in fact, an important part of society and the future of the country. Furthermore, as the Constitution guarantees us the right to speech, we have the right to express different opinions in whatever places we may be. And I think it’s beyond a school’s power to desire students not to get involved in social movements on campus.

 

「你假如要參加社會運動,我告訴你,國中就不要那麼認真,不用那麼用功。你只要是學生,在哪個學校都可以當社會運動的英雄」
’’If you want to participate in social movements, then let me tell you:
You shouldn't have studied that hard and intensely in junior high [in order to score high in exam to pass the high threshold of Wu Ling Senior High].
As long as you are a student, you can be the heroes in social movements, no matter what schools you attend.’'

 

這段話論及,我們若只為參與社會運動,不需要那麼認真讀書,進到這第一志願的學校。然而我認為,所有的民眾,不分學校、年齡、職業、性別,都可以參與社會運動;並且,學生的價值不能單以「學業成績表現」來論斷。我堅信,「好學生」除了保持優異成績外,也足夠清楚自己身負的責任,包括關心他所立足的這個世界。校長這段談話,指涉參與反課綱活動的其他高中學生「不如武陵高中學生優秀」,我為此感到抱歉也引以為恥。
The paragraph above suggests that we don’t need to study hard and come here, the best high school in the City, if we only want to be in social movements. But the truth is, everyone can participate in social movements, people from all schools, ages, occupations, genders, etc. It has nothing to do with students’ academic performances; and a student’s worth should not be measured only by the academic performances. I believe that ‘good students’ know that their responsibilities include caring about the world he/she lives in, not just maintaining good grades. The words are rather offensive to the participants from other high schools who were indicated to be ‘not as good as WLSH students’, and I feel sorry for them and actually, ashamed of the comment.

我樂見學生們挺身為自己發聲。學生是「課綱微調」的直接受害者,此刻我們若不做任何努力,未來就無權抱怨!
It’s a delight seeing students willing to voice themselves. We are the direct victims of this incident, and if we don’t do something now, we will have no right to complain about it in the future!

我尊重任何反對或支持課綱微調的人,但我希望學生能足夠瞭解整件事發生的過程、內容,和影響。我們必須明確知道自己支持與否的原因。
I respect whoever are against or in favour of the incident, but I do hope that students have a solid understanding towards the whole picture, including the procedure, the contents, and the impacts of it. Against or for, we need to be certain on why we are making these decisions.

 

校長談話全文:

前幾天中壢有場反課綱微調的遊行
Few days ago in Zhongli, there was a march against the changing of high schools' course scheme.

有我們武陵的同學去參加
Some of our students were involved.

校長不反對,也不鼓勵
I don't oppose or encourage it,
但要清楚自己在做什麼
but you need to know what you're doing.

你要去參加這個活動,你有沒有想到背後是誰在操縱的?
You're going to partake in the event, but have you thought about who is behind it and manipulating it?

你對整個世界有什麼了解嗎?
Do you have some understanding of this world?

你願意付出這樣子的代價,你要為這個活動背書
Endorsing the act, you are willing to pay the price.

人家是把你當作…
People see you as....
我不要說那是怎樣的團體
I'm not going to say anything about the parties/organisations.

但是我要跟各位報告
But I have to tell you
這個議題永遠不會停止
that this issue would last forever
因為明年要總統選舉
because of the president election next year.

台灣事實上很可憐…..
Taiwan is actually, pathetic…..

馬上提升到最高位階
*The greatest concerns,
國家認同藍綠對決
from national identity, to the antagonisation between KMT and DPP (two major political parties).

有人認為這個國家叫中華民國
Some think that the country should be called Republic of China,
可是有些人不接受
but some don't agree with it.

所以這個…
So.....
但是我告訴各位
I'm telling you
學校是教育場域
that school is a place for education
假如你要參與社會運動,請到校外
and that if you want to take part in social movements, please do it outside the school.

你假如要參加社會運動,我告訴你
If you want to participate in social movements, then let me tell you:

妳國中就不要那麼認真,不用那麼用功
You shouldn't have studied that hard and intensely in junior high [in order to score high in exam to pass the high threshold of Wu Ling Senior High].

你只要是學生
As long as you are a student,
在哪個學校都可以當社會運動的英雄
you can be the heroes in social movements, no matter what schools you attend.

可是你到武陵高中來
But now that you've come to Wu Ling.

你對自己的責任是什麼?
What're your responsibilities towards yourself?

對自己的期許是什麼?
What're your expectations?

你對人生的嚮往是什麼?
What're your ideals for life?

要非常清楚
You need to be very certain on these things.

但是校長要提醒你
But I want to remind you
青春的生命有限
*that youth is limited

三年時光
Three years,
高中生命中最輝煌的歲月跟時光
the brightest time of high school, 
假如稍縱即逝
*if fleeting away,
你一放了以後就不見了
*gone as soon as you let it slip,
歸零重新出發
*then you will have to start all over again from nothing.

榮耀就是這三年
*If there’s glory, it’s in these three years.

可是未來走下去
But in the future,
你要考上怎樣的學校
what kind of universities you want to attend,
考上怎樣的科系
in what department you are going to study,
怎樣繼續你未來人生的追尋
and in which way you are going to keep pursuing your future,
那才是更重要的生命本質
these are the more important essences of life.

校長今天實在是有一點沉重
I'm indeed a bit down today,
但是,武陵一定要更好
but Wu Ling needs to get better,
武陵的明天一定要更好
and Wu Ling must have a better tomorrow.

我們要更加的努力,更加的進步
We should endeavour to become better.

我不要希望我在哪一天接電話的時候
I don't wish to get phone calls
桃園客運司機跟我說
from drivers of Taoyuan Bus (transportation regularly used WLSH by students),
你們武陵高中學生怎麼樣怎麼樣怎麼樣
telling me about students being like this or that......

校長無地自容
I'd be ashamed.

我們一起努力好不好,加油
Let's strive together, shall we?

昂首闊步武陵人,祝福大家
Stride forward with your chin up as a Wu Ling man. (school motto)
Wish you all the best.

arrow
arrow
    全站熱搜

    jenjentw 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()